major st. clair a. mulholland's

chancellorsville report


May 4, 1863.

SIR: In accordance with orders just received, I have the honor to submit the following report in regard to certain guns that were taken off the field of action by the men of my command, on the morning of Sunday, May 3, 1863:


The Irish Brigade was engaged in supporting the Fifth Maine Battery, commanded by Captain Leppien. When the battery had been engaged with the enemy about one hour, all the officers and [men] belonging to it had either been killed, wounded, or ad abandoned their pieces, with the exception of one man, Corpl. James H. Lebroke, and all the guns were silenced except one. About this time, Major Scott, of General Hancock's staff, rode up to me, and requested me to bring out a sufficient number of men to haul the abandoned guns off the field, as they were in great danger of being captured by the enemy. My regiment at this time occupied the left of the brigade line, and was nearest the battery. I at once, at the request of Major Scott, led my men toward the abandoned battery, and ordered them to haul the guns up the road. My men obeyed with alacrity, and removed three of the guns off the field, and to the rear. After taking off the last piece, I followed my men up the road, and found another gun in possession of one of my lieutenants L. J. Sacriste, of Company D. This piece he had taken off without my knowledge, and made, in all, four pieces saved by my command. The fifth piece taken to the rear was taken off the field by some men of the One hundred and fortieth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was by them taken up the road about 100 yards. There they were forced to halt, not having enough men to move the piece farther. I at once sent seine men of my command to assist them, and the piece was brought off successfully. I found it necessary, in removing the guns, to order the men to leave their muskets, as they could not work with them in their hands. Seventy-three of my men did so. When the last gun was brought off, I went back to the left, to ascertain whether any more remained. I then found 8 or 10 of my men coming up the road, and ordered them back to gather up as many muskets as they could carry off. I do not think they succeeded in saving any. I was greatly assisted in bringing off the guns by Lieutenant Wilson, of General Hancock's staff, who acted with great bravery and personally assisted in removing the pieces. The following men of the Sixty-third New York Volunteers assisted in removing the guns: Sergt. James Dwyer, John Murray, John Coghlin, and Corpl. John Harvey. The following men of the Sixty-ninth also assisted: Sergt. Thomas Neelan, Privates William Lennon, Martin Morgan, James Quagly, and James Sheehan. The only man with the battery when we were ordered to remove the pieces off the field was Corpl. James H. Lebroke. He remained with his gun and assisted in bringing it off. This man acted with great bravery, and fired the last shot.

Respectfully submitted.


Major, Comdg. One hundred and sixteenth Pa. Vols.

Capt. M. W. WALL,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Irish Brigade.




Return to Battlefield Reports